[SOLVED] Stress as a component of workplace efficiency..
Week 4 Brainstorming Discussions
Must post first.
Topic: Stress as a component of workplace efficiency.
The CEO of VMI is a confessed workaholic. In a recent HR interview with Chinn, he lays out his personal conflict of demanding employees to work long hours as he does. He also is conflicted with the need to be open for business all the time due to its international markets. He is aware that his own Chinese cultural heritage influences his work practices. In China, the issue of personal time is not a concern. Workers do what is expected of them. Chinn knows this is not true in many western companies and especially in the southern states of America. As the newest set of management employees, Chinn wants you to examine this issue and make recommendations on how to deal with conflicting cultural expectations. What demands should VMI place upon its employees?
Stress at the workplace is a constant problem especially since technology has placed the worker in a 24/7 work environment. Use the articles listed below and your required learning materials from our week 4-course content to address this specifically for the circumstances of VMI.
Why Work stress is Bad for Your Relationships
Whither the Ping-pong Table? Which Perks Matter Most to Employees
What is the future of office spaces?
1. By FRIDAY, complete the following:
Preparation: It is necessary to read the articles listed above as well as those in your classroom materials. This assignment cannot be completed without required learning materials, in particular the articles on cultural values and Geert Hofstede’s website.
Orientation/perspective: Continuing on with our scenario, you are a newly-hired manager not yet placed into a permanent assignment. Since week 1, you and Chinn have been talking about your vision for VMI’s future as given in last week’s assignments. Ultimately, you are convinced that the future VMI needs to be cognizant of the changing workplace while embarking upon VMI’s further international expansion, all under the umbrella of developing a learning organization culture to support this.
Deliverable: Once prepared, you will create a 2-page single-spaced report for President Chinn on the topic of the new modern workplace. In this report, include the following:
- Chinn has a sense of cultural differences between his own heritage and that of VMI. Explain to him your understanding of these differences and how these may be underlying his observations.
- Share with him your knowledge of workplace stress: its effects upon the employee, the idea of work and family life balance, differing cultural and generational views on this, and ways that organizations address it.
- Enlighten him as to the difference of an engaged vs. ‘happy’ employee, with that difference expressed in effects upon specific types of performance and commitment. (As we have had readings explaining engagement every week, you need to express your own understanding of this and not paraphrase an article).
- Your explanations should indicate that you understand typical pitfalls, misunderstandings, and misperceptions in cross-cultural communications and age-cohort attitudes.
- With an understanding of the above, include specific and clear recommendations of addressing this within VMI.
The above are not distinct questions to be answered. Rather, you are to formulate your own report (2 pages, single-spaced), structuring your own points in a conversation with your reader (Chinn) that convinces him of its importance. Your report should incorporate key concerns and knowledge that has been expressed in our readings this week while also tying in your knowledge gained from past weeks (all cited). In order to accomplish this, your report must be focused on VMI’s situation, the type of work they perform, and how to carry forward their excellence and familial culture. Do not pitch ideas from sources that do not apply to VMI’s circumstances.
You must use course material to support your initial and final reports as well as APA in-text citations with a reference list.
You must start a thread before you can read and reply to other threads